START: The Power of the Word
From TR Media
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
Today, we’ll continue talking about how to take the next step from the step you’re on in regards to your faith walk by talking about God’s Word. Last week, we focused on our assurance. It is vital if we are going to walk the path that God has for us, we must recognize the keeping power of God. Today, we’ll talk about the incredible way that God speaks to us and guides us along the journey.
THE POWER OF THE WORD – Hebrews 4:12 The Word of God is living (zah-oh – full of life)and powerful (ener-gais – able to make things happen, bring them about)…
– Inspiration – God breathed out His Word
– Inerrancy – every word is accurate and absolute
– Infallible – absolutely trustworthy, exempt from error
Our response to the living and powerful Word…
1. Read what it says
– 16a All Scripture is given by inspiration of God
“It is God’s present Voice which makes His written word all-powerful. Otherwise it would lie locked in slumber within the covers of a Book.” – A.W. Tozer
– Reading the Word of God is the only way to discover the Will of God. If you’re trying to discover God’s Will for your life without reading God’s Word for your life, you’re wasting your time.
2. Learn what it means
– 16b …and is profitable for doctrine (teach us what is right), for reproof (convict, show us what is wrong), for correction (teach us how to fix it)…
– We must be diligent in studying God’s Word in order to find its meaning and application
– We can do this through church, Bible studies, life groups, books, radio/tv
“God did not write a book and send it by messenger to be read at a distance by unaided minds. He spoke a Book and lives in His spoken words, constantly speaking His words and causing the power of them to persist across the years.” – A.W. Tozer
– Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
– Psalm 119:11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You.
3. Put it into practice
– 16c …for instruction in righteousness
– 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
– Our lives, or more importantly, our success in life is directly dependent on how we put God’s Word into practice in our daily lives
– If we are not actually applying His Word to life, we not only will fail, we are living in sin
– James 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.
“It is one thing to know that the Scripture is the Sword of the Spirit, but it another thing to know how to use it effectively. God expects us to use the Sword, not merely hang it up as a decoration.” – Rev. Jerry Falwell
I Corinthians 15:3-4 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: That Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures.