TR Playbook: Our Playbook For Change - Vision Matters
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Last week, we spent some time talking about what the church is and why it exists. We focused on four very important words that describe the church: Family, Authority, Word and Mission.
Today, we talk about one of the most important aspects of the church today and it is encompassed in one word: Vision.
Prov. 29:18a (KJV) “Where there is no vision, the people perish.”
My Dad had some definitions of vision that we need to recapture.
- Vision is a bridge from the past to the future.
- Vision is the eye of faith to see the invisible and the decisiveness to make it visible.
- Vision is the power that causes people to make huge sacrifices in order to become all they can become for God.
- George Barna said “Vision is a clear mental image of a preferable future imparted by God to His chosen servants and is based upon an accurate understanding of God, self, and circumstances.”
- Vision is adopting an action plan that will enable you to move forward in your Christian life and ministry.
- Vision is the inward fire which enables you to boldly communicate to your peers what the future will be like.
- Vision is the dynamic that enables you to translate your faith and dreams into a new and personal walk with God.
- Vision is the God-given energy which will make you become a risk-taker.
Today, let’s look at how vision plays a part in the future of the church and the future of you and me as Christ followers!
1. Our Vision
Acts 1:8 “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
a. Changed World – Gospel
b. Christ Followers – Those whom were far off have now come near to Him
c. Gatherings & Groups – Acts 2:42
2. Our Mission – To Change Our World By Developing Christ Followers Who Love God and Love People
Acts 2:14 (NKJV) “But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, ‘Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words. 15 For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day.’ 16 But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: 17 ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams. 18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days; And they shall prophesy. 19 I will show wonders in heaven above And signs in the earth beneath: Blood and fire and vapor of smoke.
20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, And the moon into blood, Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the LORD. 21 And it shall come to pass That whoever calls on the name of the LORD Shall be saved.'”
Acts 2:39 “For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”
3. Our Message – The message of the Cross.
Acts 2:21 “And it shall come to pass That whoever calls on the name of the LORD Shall be saved.”
Acts 2:37 “Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, ‘Men and brethren, what shall we do?’ 38 Then Peter said to them, ‘Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.'”
Rom. 1:16 (NKJV) “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, ‘The just shall live by faith.'”
So, some questions for all of us today:
1. What is your vision for your future?
2. What is your mission statement that drives it?
3. What is the message you want the world to hear?