EPHESIANS – GOD’S GREAT PLAN
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
The book of Ephesians is an important letter from Paul for it deals with all of the elements of our faith. This short book has strong doctrinal teaching, faith-filled encouragement, a call for unity, a commitment to the Spiritual gifts and a practical application for all believers. And, it concludes with a call to stand firm in the battle against the powers of the enemy, but not without an explanation of how to stand. We stand in the power, protection and plan of God. The book focuses on two important elements of our faith: the Christian’s beliefs (chs. 1-3) and the Christian’s behavior (chs. 4-6).
1. We are immeasurably blessed
Ephesians 1:3-4 (CSB) Blessed is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavens in Christ. 4 For he chose us in him, before the foundation of the world, to be holy and blameless in love before him.
- “every spiritual blessing”
- “holy and blameless”
- The clear and undeniable picture is as believers in Christ, we have been given wonderful gifts through His presence and power
2. We are part of His great plan
Ephesians 1:9-14 (CSB) He made known to us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure that he purposed in Christ 10 as a plan for the right time—to bring everything together in Christ, both things in heaven and things on earth in him. 11 In him we have also received an inheritance, because we were predestined according to the plan of the one who works out everything in agreement with the purpose of his will, 12 so that we who had already put our hope in Christ might bring praise to his glory. 13 In him you also were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and when you believed. 14 The Holy Spirit is the down payment of our inheritance, until the redemption of the possession, to the praise of his glory.
- “as a plan for the right time”
- “so that we…might bring praise to His glory”
- “you also were sealed”
- “We are able to share in the secret that God will one day unite everything in Christ. Ever since sin came into the world, things have been falling apart… Sin is tearing everything apart, but in Christ, God will gather everything together in the culmination of the ages. We are a part of this great eternal program.”– – Warren Wiersbe
3. We have an eternal hope
Ephesians 1:18-23 (CSB) I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened so that you may know what is the hope of his calling, what is the wealth of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the mighty working of his strength. 20 He exercised this power in Christ by raising him from the dead and seating him at his right hand in the heavens—21 far above every ruler and authority, power and dominion, and every title given,, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22 And he subjected everything under his feet, and appointed him as head over everything for the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of the one who fills all things in every way.
- “your heart may be enlightened so that you may know what is the hope”
- “what is the immeasurable greatness of His power”
- His power in raising Christ from the dead is the same power we walk in today
- “he subjected everything under his feet” – nothing is out of His control
- “We need to know our spiritual future is based on the promises of God and find strength and courage in that hope to live in the present.” – – Max Anders
4. We are undeniably secure
Ephesians 6:10-17 (CSB) A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. 14 Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. 15 For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. 16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. 17 Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
- Our security is in Him, but it requires a commitment on our part
- “put on all of God’s armor”
- Belt of Truth – Breastplate of Righteousness – Shoes of Peace from Good News – Shield of Faith – Helmet of Salvation – Sword of the Spirit
 Porter Barrington, The Christian Life Study Bible, (Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers), pg 1186.