THE DOCTRINE OF THE BIBLE
In a very general sense, God has revealed Himself to us, and has exposed to us our need for Him.
Even though creation and our own conscience points out for us the existence of God, they don’t really help us get to know our God.
By way of 40 authors, on 3 different continents, in 3 different languages (Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek), over a period of almost 1500 years revealed Himself, His heart, His law and His love to mankind through the anointed hands of very ordinary people.
The Bible is not a single work but a collection of works from a wide variety of over 40 authors, such as shepherds, kings, farmers, fishermen, priests, poets, and peasants.
Authors also include traitors, embezzlers, adulterers, murders, and auditors….an all-star cast of down and outers, failures and misfits.
2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God[a] may be complete, equipped for every good work.
Hebrews 4:12 (ESV)
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
Revelation – from God to man
Inspiration – from man to paper
Illumination – from paper to the heart
1. Read it
A. What am I reading?
B. How did these 66 books become the Bible?
C. Why should I read it?
- Revelation– It is God’s revelation to us. God reveals himself to us through}
His word. Want to get to know God, read His love letter to you.
- Inspiration– It will inspire you to grow closer to Him and to grow as a human being in character
- Illumination– God’s word will illuminate places in your life that need change
and yet it also illuminates your heart and mind to deeper truths of His character and wisdom.
2. Believe it
A. Because of its unity
B. Because of its accuracy
- Historically – Digs at Jericho, book of Acts, The flood, the Garden of Eden, the repentance of Ninevah). The Bible is completely accurate in it’s telling of history
- Prophetically – The foretelling of the future. This is where the Bible stands head and shoulders above any other piece of literature.
C. Because of its resiliency – Multiple times throughout history there has been attempts to destroy the Bible. All have failed.
3. Apply it
Read it, believe it, and then apply it. It is God’s love letter to you!