Daniel 3: Though He Slay Me, I Will Trust Him
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Key verse: Daniel 3:18 (NKJV) But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we do not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up.
Daniel 3:4-6 (NKJV) Then a herald cried aloud: “To you it is commanded, O peoples, nations, and languages, 5 that at the time you hear the sound of the horn, flute, harp, lyre, andpsaltery, in symphony with all kinds of music, you shall fall down and worship the gold image that King Nebuchadnezzar has set up; 6 and whoever does not fall down and worship shall be cast immediately into the midst of a burning fiery furnace.”
1. The pressure to compromise never goes away
Daniel 3:13-15 Then Nebuchadnezzar, in rage and fury, gave the command to bring Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego. So they brought these men before the king. 14 Nebuchadnezzar spoke, saying to them, “Is ittrue, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego, thatyou do not serve my gods or worship the gold image which I have set up? 15 Now if you are ready at the time you hear the sound of the horn, flute, harp, lyre, andpsaltery, in symphony with all kinds of music, and you fall down and worship the image which I have made, good!But if you do not worship, you shall be cast immediately into the midst of a burning fiery furnace. And who isthe god who will deliver you from my hands?”
2. Trusting God is always more important than personal comfort
- Three refused to bow down
- Where was Daniel? (Daniel 2:49)
Daniel 3:16-18 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego answered and said to the king, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter. 17 If that is the case,our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliverusfrom your hand, O king. 18 But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we do not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up.”
- Matthew 13:42 and 13:50 – “Throw in the fiery furnace and gnashing of teeth”
3. God will never leave you on your own
Daniel 3:24-25 Then King Nebuchadnezzar was astonished; and he rose in haste andspoke, saying to his counselors, “Did we not cast three men bound into the midst of the fire?” They answered and said to the king, “True, O king.” 25 “Look!” he answered, “I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire; and they are not hurt, and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.”
Daniel 3:26 Then Nebuchadnezzar went near the mouth of the burning fiery furnace andspoke, saying, “Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego, servants of the Most High God, come out, and come here.”
Daniel 3:27b …the smell of fire was not on them.
- Nebuchadnezzar built the statue, probably as a response, to the dream in Daniel 2. He demanded all to worship but they refused. They stood their ground, refusing to compromise, and God protected them. They didn't even
4. God’s presence is greater than you could ever imagine
Daniel 3:29 Therefore I make a decree that any people, nation, or language which speaks anything amiss against the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego shall be cut in pieces, and their houses shall be made an ash heap; because there is no other God who can deliver like this.”
- When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze – Isa. 43:2b
- Regardless of the attacks or the storm, there is no God like Him!