YOU ASKED FOR IT: SHARING MY FAITH
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Question 1: How do I share my faith without being weird?
Answer 1: Just be you
1 Timothy 1:12-13 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength to do his work. He considered me trustworthy and appointed me to serve him, 13 even though I used to blaspheme the name of Christ. In my insolence, I persecuted his people. But God had mercy on me because I did it in ignorance and unbelief.
- Regardless of your past, and even struggles in your present
- It is He who works in you and through you to accomplish His work
Answer 2: Trust in Him
1 Timothy 1:14-15a Oh, how generous and gracious our Lord was! He filled me with the faith and love that come from Christ Jesus. 15 This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it: “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners”…
- God will fill you with everything needed
- And, it’s God’s perfect plan anyway
Answer 3: Trust His plan, your story has more value than you think
1 Timothy 1:15b-16 —and I am the worst of them all. 16 But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life.
- God will use your story, no matter the past, to accomplish His will
- All you must do is be willing
1 Cor. 2:4-5 And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit. 5 I did this so you would trust not in human wisdom but in the power of God.
1 Cor. 1:17 (The Message) God didn’t send me out to collect a following for myself, but to preach the Message of what he has done, collecting a following for him. And he didn’t send me to do it with a lot of fancy rhetoric of my own, lest the powerful action at the center—Christ on the Cross—be trivialized into mere words.
Question 2: So then, how do I do it?
Answer 1: Go back to the source
1 Timothy 1:18 Timothy, my son, here are my instructions for you, based on the prophetic words spoken about you earlier. May they help you fight well in the Lord’s battles.
- Prayer and the Word are a pretty good start
Answer 2: Take your faith deeper
1 Timothy 1:19a Cling to your faith in Christ…
- Recognize the importance and immense value your faith in Him has in reaching others
- The more you KNOW Him, the more you can’t help telling others ABOUT Him
Answer 3: Live right
1 Timothy 1:19b …and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked.
- It does matter how you live
- Hypocrisy is the great roadblock in you fulfilling God’s plan for you
Answer 4: Be ready
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching
- Know your story
- Be prepared
- Care more about your walk with Christ than you care about others’ walk with Christ
- Pray for opportunities
- Genuinely care about people
- Be nice
Galatians 5:22-23 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!