YOU ASKED FOR IT: THE SPIRITUAL BATTLE
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Question 1: Is Spiritual Warfare real?
Answer: Yes, Jesus made this clear in John 8:44 and 1 Peter 5:8
John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks from his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of lies.
1 Peter 5:8 Be sober-minded, be alert. Your adversary the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion, looking for anyone he can devour.
- Never forget, however, Spiritual Warfare is not a battle of Satan against you, it’s a battle of Satan against God.
- Satan is referenced in Ephesians 6:12 – “…against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms”
Question 2: What does Spiritual Warfare look like?
Answer: Fear, Temptation, Anger, Discouragement, Stress, Lack of Trust, Resignation
- Satan wants to lead us down a path which takes us further from the presence of God
- His attack on our health, our situations, our marriages, our mental state
- Job 1-2 is a picture the attacks he wants to carry out but it’s also a promise of how he is never in full control
- 1 Kings 19:3 – “Then Elijah became afraid, and immediately ran for his life”
Question 3: So, how do I defeat it?
Answer 1: Only through the power of the One who is in you
1 John 4:4 You are from God, little children, and you have conquered them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.
- Romans 12:21 – “Do not be conquered by evil, but conquer evil with good.”
- Best way to defeat Satan is to be overwhelmed by God’s Word
Answer 2: Let go of fear
2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but one of power, love, and sound judgment.
1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; instead, perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. So the one who fears is not complete in love.
Answer 3: Stand strong against temptation
Psalm 119:11 I have treasured your word in my heart so that I may not sin against you.
- Genesis 3 – “every attack by Satan is an attack on God’s Word”
- Passive Christianity is simply defaulting to giving Satan a victory
- Don’t ever us Satan’s attacks (spiritual warfare) to be an excuse for doing bad – “the devil made me do it” – Romans 12:21 “conquer evil with good”
Answer 4: Learn to forgive
Ephesians 4:32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Answer 5: Be encouraged and fight stress
Psalm 55:22 Cast your burden on the Lord, And He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.
Isaiah 43:2-3a When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you. 3 For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
Answer 6: Stay engaged
Proverbs 18:1 A man who isolates himself seeks his own desire; He rages against all wise judgment.
- Oftentimes, Satan’s attacks are not major attacks, they are subtle attacks which make you sacrifice the Godly for the good. (i.e. busy, isolated)
Question 4: Can we actually win?
Answer: Resoundingly YES!
1 Peter 5:4-11 And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory. 5 In the same way, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. All of you clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. 6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you at the proper time, 7 casting all your cares on him, because he cares about you. 8 Be sober-minded, be alert. Your adversary the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion, looking for anyone he can devour. 9 Resist him, firm in the faith, knowing that the same kind of sufferings are being experienced by your fellow believers throughout the world. 10 The God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, establish, strengthen, and support you after you have suffered a little while. 11 To him be dominion forever. Amen.
- John 16:33 I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. You will have suffering in this world. Be courageous! I have conquered the world.”