Actions of The People, Part 3
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Acts 6:5-7 (CSB) So they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a convert from Antioch. 6 They had them stand before the apostles, who prayed and laid their hands on them. 7 So the word of God spread, the disciples in Jerusalem increased greatly in number, and a large group of priests became obedient to the faith.
1. Philip was chosen because of his FAITHFULNESS
Acts 6:3b …select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and wisdom, whom we can appoint to this duty
- Like Stephen, Philip was chosen to help the church fulfill its duty to reach people
- He was given an important RESPONSIBILITY
- This responsibility is given to those who can be trusted
- Evaluate your faith walk today and ask yourself, “would they choose me?”
2. Philip was one of the first MISSIONARIES
Acts 8:4-6 So those who were scattered went on their way preaching the word. 5 Philip went down to a city in Samaria and proclaimed the Messiah to them. 6 The crowds were all paying attention to what Philip said, as they listened and saw the signs he was performing
- His faithful service led to more responsibility
- After Stephen’s death, Philip was emboldened to continue his faithful ministry
- Even those far from God responded to HIS FAITHFUL MESSAGE
- Acts 8:9-13 A man named Simon had previously practiced sorcery in that city and amazed the Samaritan people, while claiming to be somebody great. 10 They all paid attention to him, from the least of them to the greatest, and they said, “This man is called the Great Power of God.”, 11 They were attentive to him because he had amazed them with his sorceries for a long time. 12 But when they believed Philip, as he proclaimed the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized. 13 Even Simon himself believed. And after he was baptized, he followed Philip everywhere and was amazed as he observed the signs and great miracles that were being performed
3. Philip continued to LISTEN CAREFULLY
Acts 8:26a An angel of the Lord spoke to Philip: “Get up and go…”
- Though Philip was having great impact, he wanted to make sure he always was focused on GOD’S WILL FOR HIS LIFE
- The easiest road would have been to continue in his current ministry, but God called
- What if GOD CALLED YOU TO GO?
4. Philip OBEYED WITHOUT HESITATION
Acts 8:29-30a The Spirit told Philip, “Go and join that chariot.” 30 When Philip ran up to it…
- Notice that Philip didn’t wait to obey…he ran!
- In our service to Christ, we should never wait until we believe we are ready, qualified or knowledgeable. We should just respond.
- In what areas of your life are you WAITING?
5. Philip never ceased to SHARE THE GOSPEL
Acts 8:40 Philip appeared in Azotus, and he was traveling and preaching the gospel in all the towns until he came to Caesarea.
- Wherever he went, Philip persisted in obedience and outreach
- His passion was to see people, like the Ethiopian eunuch, come to Christ and he saw as his MISSION
6. Philip saw his ministry beyond his OWN GENERATION
Acts 21:8 The next day we left and came to Caesarea, where we entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the Seven, and stayed with him. 9 This man had four virgin daughters who prophesied.
- He recognized the work he did today would outlive so he was diligent
- God honored his service and raised up a family that honored God
- What steps are you taking today to ensure your work REMAINS?
What about YOU?
1. Are you known for your FAITHFULNESS?
2. Are you willing to step outside of your COMFORT ZONE?
3. Do you obey without HESITATION?