2 THESSALONIANS: STAND FIRM, GOD IS FAITHFUL
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
As we discussed last week, Paul planted the church in Thessalonica during his 2nd missionary journey. He only stayed about a month, but the impact was unmistakable. He writes this second letter to the church to once again encourage them due to false teaching and counterfeit theology.
2 Thess. 2:1-2 (NLT) Now, dear brothers and sisters, let us clarify some things about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and how we will be gathered to meet him. 2 Don’t be so easily shaken or alarmed by those who say that the day of the Lord has already begun. Don’t believe them, even if they claim to have had a spiritual vision, a revelation, or a letter supposedly from us.
1. Thankfulness produces faithfulness
2 Thess. 1:3-4 (NLT) Dear brothers and sisters, we can’t help but thank God for you, because your faith is flourishing and your love for one another is growing. 4 We proudly tell God’s other churches about your endurance and faithfulness in all the persecutions and hardships you are suffering.
- “One of the best weapons for fighting Satan is praise. In spite of his pain, Job was able to say, ‘Blessed be the name of the Lord!’ So, the next time things go wrong and you are tempted to get impatient, turn to God and give thanks.” – Warren Wiersbe
- A thankful heart produces endurance which produces faith
- 1 Thess 5:18 (NLT) Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus
2. Faithfulness allows us to remain strong when under attack
2 Thess. 2:15 (NLT) So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold to the traditions you were taught, whether by what we said or what we wrote.
- Faithfulness to His Word
- Faithfulness to what we’ve experienced in our faith journey
- Verse 2 of chapter 2 – “Don’t be so easily shaken…
3. Faithfulness leads to deliverance
2 Thess. 3:1-3 (NLT) In addition, brothers and sisters, pray for us that the word of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you, 2 and that we may be delivered from wicked and evil people, for not all have faith. 3 But the Lord is faithful; he will strengthen you and guard you from the evil one.
- Though Satan is real and active
- 1 Peter 5:8 (NLT) Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. 9 Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your family of believers all over the world is going through the same kind of suffering you are.
- “The two mistakes Christians make in talking about Satan are that we either joke about him or we ignore him. According to this verse, neither of these is an option.” – C.S. Lewis
- The clear and present danger for all believers today lies in the reality of the attacks of Satan. But fear not, Jesus has overcome.
John 16:33 (NLT) I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”