Actions of The People, Part 1
From TR Media on July 4th, 2021
Barnabas – A Man Who Stood With Others
Acts 4:32-37 (CSB) Now the entire group of those who believed were of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but instead they held everything in common. 33 With great power the apostles were giving testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was on all of them. 34 For there was not a needy person among them because all those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the proceeds of what was sold, 35 and laid them at the apostles’ feet. This was then distributed to each person as any had need. 36 Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus by birth, the one the apostles called Barnabas (which is translated Son of Encouragement), 37 sold a field he owned, brought the money, and laid it at the apostles’ feet.
1. What do people say about you?
- Barnabas was known as an ENCOURAGER
- Acts 4:36 Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus by birth, the one the apostles called Barnabas (which is translated Son of Encouragement)
- He was part of a group of church leaders who understood the importance of encouraging others
2. What do your actions say about you?
- Barnabas was known as a GIVER
- Acts 4:37 sold a field he owned, brought the money, and laid it at the apostles’ feet
- Even though Barnabas was a Levite, he still owned land, maybe in his homeland of Cyprus
- He was willing to DO WHAT WAS NEEDED
to help grow the church and impact his world
- He taught us to USE WHAT WE HAVE
3. Barnabas was willing TO BRING OTHERS ALONG
Acts 9:26-27 When he arrived in Jerusalem, he tried to join the disciples, but they were all afraid of him, since they did not believe he was a disciple. 27 Barnabas, however, took him and brought him to the apostles and explained to them how Saul had seen the Lord on the road and that the Lord had talked to him, and how in Damascus he had spoken boldly in the name of Jesus
- He believed in the potential of those around him
- He was willing to BELIEVE THE BEST ABOUT OTHERS
- Where are you BRINGING OTHERS ALONG?
4. Because of his obedience, GOD CALLED HIM TO ACT
Acts 13:1-3 Now in the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen, a close friend of Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. 2 As they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” 3 Then after they had fasted, prayed, and laid hands on them, they sent them off
- Barnabas was sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s leading in his life and was willing to respond
- He WAS WILLING TO GO
- What could you accomplish if you were simply READY TO BE USED
- God will never call those who are ignoring the Holy Spirit in their own lives
- Barnabas always WANTED TO GIVE A SECOND CHANCE
- Acts 15:36-41 After some time had passed, Paul said to Barnabas, “Let’s go back and visit the brothers and sisters in every town where we have preached the word of the Lord and see how they’re doing.” 37 Barnabas wanted to take along John who was called Mark. 38 But Paul insisted that they should not take along this man who had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not gone on with them to the work. 39 They had such a sharp disagreement that they parted company, and Barnabas took Mark with him and sailed off to Cyprus. 40 But Paul chose Silas and departed, after being commended by the brothers and sisters to the grace of the Lord. 41 He traveled through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches.
- John Mark had left the team during the first missionary journey
- Barnabas wanted to give him a second chance
- His heart and actions here underscore the description found in Acts 4 – he was an encourager
What about YOU?
- Are you an ENCOURAGER TODAY?
- Are you a GENEROUS PERSON?
- Do you believe THE BEST IN OTHERS?
- Are you willing TO GO WHEN CALLED?
- Are you willing TO GIVE OTHERS ANOTHER CHANCE?