Overflow: Losing Weight To Win
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Last week’s Memory Verse:
Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
Today’s Memory Verse:
Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:1 (NLT)
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. 3 Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people;* then you won’t become weary and give up. 4 After all, you have not yet given your lives in your struggle against sin.
Losing Weight To Win
1. You’re Not Alone
1a Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith…
– one of the greatest hindrances to living a “freed: life is being bound by loneliness
– byproducts of loneliness
2. Let It Go
1b …let us strip off every weight that slows us down…
– weight (onkos – impediment, encumbrance)
– Typical “weights” that slow us down
– lack of wisdom
3. Clean It Up
1c …especially the sin that so easily trips us up…
– sin will always stop us from winning
– our tolerance of sin grows exponentially as our lack of repentance grows
“Never confuse God’s patience in punishing sin as God’s tolerance and acceptance of our sin” – Steve Gaines
– Daniel 4:27 ‘King Nebuchadnezzar, please accept my advice. Stop sinning and do what is right. Break from your wicked past and be merciful to the poor. Perhaps then you will continue to prosper.’ 28 “But all these things did happen to King Nebuchadnezzar. 29 Twelve months later…”
4. Never Quit
1d …And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.
– endurance (hypomonē – perseverance, capacity to continue to bear up under difficult circumstances)
– Why should we never quit? Because this is God’s plan!
– the race God has set before us.
5. Know What Matters
2a We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus…
1. Look for the weights (i.e. discouragement, financials, health, relationships, anger)
2. Come up with a game plan to fix it
3. Stop sin
– getting into God’s Word will help you avoid sin
– right crowds will help you avoid sin
– “Garbage in/Garbage out”
4. Seek the race God has for you