Wise Words: The Danger of Pride
From TR Media on 04/25/2021
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Proverbs 16:18 (CSB) Pride comes before destruction, and an arrogant spirit before a fall.
Definition of pride: “It is an over-concern with ourselves, a disposition to exalt self, to get above others, to hide our defects, and to pass for more than we are.”
Isaiah 14:12-15 (CSB) Shining morning star, how you have fallen from the heavens! You destroyer of nations, you have been cut down to the ground. 13 You said to yourself: “I will ascend to the heavens; I will set up my throne above the stars of God. I will sit on the mount of the gods’ assembly, in the remotest parts of the North. 14 I will ascend above the highest clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.” 15 But you will be brought down to Sheol into the deepest regions of the Pit.
1. In our success, pride seeks to stop us
Vs 12a Shining morning star, how you have fallen from the heavens! You destroyer of nations,
- This king had been successful in his endeavors yet the consequence is his fall
- The reason for Satan’s fall described in Ezekiel 28:17 is found in his success which led to pride
2. Pride makes us believe what is not true
Vs 13-14a You said to yourself: “I will ascend to the heavens; I will set up my throne above the stars of God. I will sit on the mount of the gods’ assembly, in the remotest parts of the North. 14 I will ascend above the highest clouds;
- Our elevated sense of self leads us to believe our successes flow from our goodness or abilities
- James 1:17 – “Every good and perfect gift is from above…”
3. Pride causes us to replace God with self
Vs 14b I will make myself like the Most High.
- This is where pride leads to destruction
- A sense of self importance that craves more and more of self
- Any time you replace God with self you will always find destruction
4. Our pride never takes us where we believe we’re going
Vs 15 But you will be brought down to Sheol into the deepest regions of the Pit.
- The very definition of destruction…the fall
Jesus described it in Luke 10:18 “He said to them, “I watched Satan fall from heaven like lightning”
5. The right attitude to defeat pride
Isaiah 12:1-4 (CSB) On that day you will say: “I will praise You, Lord, although You were angry with me. Your anger has turned away, and You have had compassion on me. 2 Indeed, God is my salvation; I will trust Him and not be afraid, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my song. He has become my salvation.” 3 You will joyfully draw water from the springs of salvation, 4 and on that day you will say: “Give thanks to Yahweh; proclaim His name! Celebrate His works among the peoples. Declare that His name is exalted.
Isaiah 25:1 CSB) Yahweh, You are my God; I will exalt You. I will praise Your name, for You have accomplished wonders,
Isaiah 25:9 (CSB) On that day it will be said, “Look, this is our God; we have waited forHim, and He has saved us. This is the Lord; we have waited for Him. Let us rejoice and be glad in His salvation.”