Say Yes... Time to Follow, part 1
From TRMEDIA A year ago
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Key Verse: John 14:15 (NKJV) “If you love Me, keep My commandments.”
Matthew 4:18-22 (NKJV) And Jesus, walking by the Sea of Galilee, saw two brothers, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. 19 Then He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” 20 They immediately left their nets and followed Him. 21 Going on from there, He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets. He called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed Him.
What does Jesus want us to do today in response to His call to “follow Him?”
1. Go to church
• 58% of Evangelical Christians attend church regularly
• Only 36% attend more than once a month
• 52% attend church seldom or never
• 69% 18-29 year olds attend either once a month, seldom or never
• The average “faithful” Christ follower attends church 1.26 to 2.3 times per month
- Clearly, the Bible gives overwhelming arguments advocating for regular attendance and involvement in the local church.
- Romans 12:5 tells “while we are many, we form one body”
- 1 Corinthians 12 challenges us that as one body, we have all a part to play and when we don’t show up, we are not only harming ourselves, we are harming the body
Luke 4:16 (NKJV) So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.
Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”
Hebrews 10:25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
Acts 2:41-47 Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. 42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45 and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need. 46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
2. Grow in church
• 19% of Christians read their Bible every day
• 48% of Christians pray every day
• 15% of Christians have fasted in the last year
• 91% of Christians have not memorized more than 3 Bible verses in the last year
- Colossians 2:7 tells us to allow our “roots to grow down into Him build our lives on Him and we will grow strong in our faith”
- Our spiritual growth is our responsibility and it won’t happen by accident or proxy
Matthew 5:6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.
2 Peter 1:5-8 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
John 15:5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.”
1 www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/attendance-at-religious-services/ 2014 Data 2 www.statista.com/statistics/245491/church-attendance-of-americans/ 2017 Data 3 pushpay.com/blog/church-attendance/ 2017 Data 4 www.lifeway.com/en/articles/philip-nation-transformation-spiritual-disciplines-growth – Phillip Nation