Tiny Giants: Truth In Love
From TRMEDIA 11 Months ago
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Key Verse: 2 John 6 This is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it.
2 John 1 (NLT) This letter is from John, the elder. I am writing to the chosen lady and to her children, whom I love in the truth-as does everyone else who knows the truth-2 because the truth lives in us and will be with us forever. 3 Grace, mercy, and peace, which come from God the Father and from Jesus Christ-the Son of the Father-will continue to be with us who live in truth and love. 4 How happy I was to meet some of your children and find them living according to the truth, just as the Father commanded. 5 I am writing to remind you, dear friends, that we should love one another. This is not a new commandment, but one we have had from the beginning. 6 Love means doing what God has commanded us, and he has commanded us to love one another, just as you heard from the beginning. 7 I say this because many deceivers have gone out into the world. They deny that Jesus Christ came in a real body. Such a person is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8 Watch out that you do not lose what we have worked so hard to achieve. Be diligent so that you receive your full reward. 9 Anyone who wanders away from this teaching has no relationship with God. But anyone who remains in the teaching of Christ has a relationship with both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to your meeting and does not teach the truth about Christ, don’t invite that person into your home or give any kind of encouragement. 11 Anyone who encourages such people becomes a partner in their evil work. 12 I have much more to say to you, but I don’t want to do it with paper and ink. For I hope to visit you soon and talk with you face to face. Then our joy will be complete. 13 Greetings from the children of your sister, chosen by God.
This letter is a clear statement against the common misconception in today’s world that it really doesn’t matter what you believe as long as you’re sincere. John emphasizes the importance of truth and of love, but he defines love in the clearest of terms meaning obedience to God’s Word, which is truth.
1. The encouragement of truth (vs 1-3)
Verse 3a Grace, mercy, and peace…
– Truth is not subjective, it is objective. It is not something you decide on your own, it is given from the beginning.
– …because the truth lives in us and will be with us forever. (vs 2)
– Today’s world determines to decide truth based on feelings, situations, and desires.
– Truth is based on truth (God’s Word) John 14:6
2. The requirement of love (vs 4-6)
– Truth and love go hand in hand. It is impossible to truly love without loving in truth.
Verse 4a I am writing to remind you, dear friends, that we should love one another…
– HOW DO WE LOVE? WHAT DOES LOVE REALLY MEAN?
Verse 6 Love means doing what God has commanded us, and he has commanded us to love one another, just as you heard from the beginning.
– Love is not accepting what the world says regardless of what God’s Word says.
– Love is obeying God’s Word by reflecting it to the world.
– Is it truly love if we accept the sin of another without trying to speak truth into their lives?
3. The importance of discernment (vs 7-11)
Verse 7a I say this because many deceivers have gone out into the world.
– The world, and the church, is full of deceivers who have subverted God’s Word to allow for that which disobeys God’s Word.
Verse 8a Watch out that you do not lose what we have worked so hard to achieve.
– Acceptance of sin and bad theology is a sure way to slow or destroy the work of a church and of a believer.
Verse 8b Be diligent
– Know truth by being IN GOD’S WORD so we can spot deceit the moment it walks in.
– The world’s call for tolerance is based on a false view of love.
– Are we really showing God’s love if we are not really showing God’s truth?
– Allowing someone to continue in sin without showing them truth, in love, will lead to their ultimate destruction. That is not love!
Verses 10-11 If anyone comes to your meeting and does not teach the truth about Christ, don’t invite that person into your home or give any kind of encouragement. 11 Anyone who encourages such people becomes a partner in their evil work.
4. The value of fellowship (vs 12-13)
Verse 12b For I hope to visit you soon and talk with you face to face. Then our joy will be complete.
– This is a first century encouragement to develop real relationships, not just virtual ones.
– God’s design is one that involves fellowship, iron sharpening iron.