START: Prayer Matters
From TRMEDIA A year ago
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
1 John 5:14
Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
WE continue a brief series we started two weeks ago entitled START: Taking the Next Step from the Step You’re On. This is really a refresher on a few of the basics of our faith walk. Two weeks ago, we talked about our security in God’s hand. Last week, we talked about the importance of God’s Word. Today, let’s talk about prayer.
15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.
1. Prayer is talking to God your Father
– 1 Peter 5:6-7 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, 7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
– Prayer is actually the ability we have to talk to the One who created us, and everything
– Unfortunately, many treat prayer as a ritual rather than an unbelievable privilege
2. Prayer is a conversation
– Hebrews 4:14-16 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
– It is an actual conversation where we can find the help and hope we need
3. Prayer is powerful
– James 5:16b …the effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
– It actually works, it makes a difference
How do I pray?
– Luke 11:1 Now it came to pass, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, that one of His disciples said to Him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.”
1. Know who God is
… Luke 11:2a So He said to them, “When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name…”
2. Recognize the importance of God’s plan
– Luke 11:2b …Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.
3. Know that God cares about you
– Luke 11:3 Give us day by day our daily bread.
4. Be in the right place for prayer
– Luke 11:4a And forgive us our sins…
5. Be in the right attitude for prayer
– Luke 11:4b …For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us.
6. Seek God’s leading in your life
– Luke 11:4c …And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one.
7. Be thankful for everything
– Luke 17:17 – Jesus taught us that simply saying thanks is important
– He healed ten but only one came back to say thanks
– How many times have we ignored the blessings of God?